Home SME Start up Specialist – Istanbul or Amman
SME Start up Specialist – Istanbul or Amman
SME Start up Specialist
Istanbul, Turkey or Amman, Jordan
- Positon:SME Start up Specialist
- Location:Istanbul, Turkey or Amman, Jordan
- Application Deadline:6th August 2020
- Duration:1 year with possible extension
- Start Date:As soon as possible
SPARK launches a new programme that is working with the private sector to create job opportunities for local youth among host communities & refugees in Turkey, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon). This dynamic programme was designed in partnership with local companies, chambers of commerce, NGOs and governments to create employment for youth and is financed by several donors.
The SME Start-up Specialist will drive the start-up component of the project, initially in Jordan and Turkey but later in the other countries in the region as well.
The SME Start up specialist has extensive experience in the private sector and demonstrated ability in supporting start-ups to grow. He/ she has a hands on & can do mentality and can be found mostly outside of the office working with our local partners and start-ups. He/she enjoys working from time to time under pressure, can deliver results under pressure and blends in with out start-up scene partners. You enjoy bringing our local business incubation/acceleration and start-up scene partners to the next level and have the experience and seniority to coach them to the next level.
As a new member of our dynamic team, you will be responsible to deliver, with our start-up scene partners, including hands on support for the delivery of job creation targets as per the donor contract. S/he will be responsible for providing technical expertise and do the quality control of support start-ups, as well as local partners (such as entrepreneurship training, mentorship and coaching providers, incubators and accelerators). In addition, s/he also identifies and secure new business opportunities for start-ups. S/he is expected initially travel between the 2 target countries with the other countries following suit later in the year.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Expedite the execution of the pre-designed activities for the start-up component with local partners and quality improve them on the go, with the aim to maximize jobs creation and growth of the start-ups;
- Building on your personal past experience provide technical assistance and training to local partners to be better able to provide quality services to start-ups, and further develop pragmatic manuals and curricula in these fields;
- Identify how the programme can adapt to even better support start-ups and our local partners in each country and analyse their specific needs, taking into account also new requirements in light of COVID-19, to create new jobs
- Support to local partners in the organisation of trainings and boot camps for start-ups in innovative business solutions drawing on block chain, e-working, e-commerce and social media with local partners;
- Support business start-up competitions in main growth sectors that are driven by the local partners;
- Support start-ups through coaching and mentoring to start their own business with the country teams and local partners,
- Coordinate and organise networking events for start-ups and MFIs, banks and angel investors and local partners,
- Together with the partners, assist start-ups to identify promising and high-potential market opportunities through attendance at trade shows and trade exhibitions,
- Provide technical input and feedback on progress reports and impact evaluation reports as well as project proposals,
- Other tasks as required.
Requirements and Skills
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant work experience with the private sector start-up scene;
- Having experience starting and running an own business or working with private sector driven business incubation programmes a strong asset;
- Proven expertise in new business start-ups,
- Prior experience in access to finance solutions including Banking and setting up guarantee schemes to provide lines of finance to MSMEs is preferable.
- Ability to build consensus amongst wide range of views and complex personal and inter-organisational dynamics.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills,
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and working level proficiency in English and Turkish is highly desirable;
- Citizenship of the country to which you are applying;
- Ability and willingness to travel between Turkey and the Middle East.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment in one of the fastest growing SME development initiatives in the region;
- Remuneration based on experience, SPARK salary grid and the country Jordan (from 1.800 – 2.200 JOD gross) or Turkey (1.800 – 2.500 EUR net);
- Full-time contract 40h/per week;
- Training opportunities.
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply with your motivation letter and your CV (both in English) on https://vacancy.spark-online.org/ until 6th August 2020. Please, with application send to us three references (phone number and email) which we can contact in the selection process.
All applications will be assessed on rolling basis; interviews can, therefore, take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates.