Home SME Scale up specialist – Istanbul or Amman
SME Scale up specialist – Istanbul or Amman
SME Scale up specialist
Istanbul, Turkey or Amman, Jordan
- Positon:SME Scale up specialist
- Location:Istanbul, Turkey or Amman, Jordan
- Application deadline:6th August 2020
- Duration:1 year with possible extension
- Start Date:As soon as possible
SPARK launches a new programme that is working with the private sector to create job opportunities for local youth among host communities & refugees in Turkey, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon. This dynamic programme was designed in partnership with local companies, chambers of commerce, NGOs, private sector and governments to create employment for youth and is financed by several donors.
The SME Scale-up Specialist will drive the SME scale-up component of the project, initially in Jordan and Turkey but later in the other countries in the region as well.
The SME Start up specialist has extensive experience in the private sector and demonstrated ability in supporting SMEs (local and refugee driven) to grow. He/ she has a hands-on & can do mentality and can be found mostly outside of the office working with our local partners and SMEs. He/she enjoys working from time to time under pressure, can deliver results under pressure and blends in with out start-up scene partners. You enjoy bringing our local chamber of commerce and business alliance partners to the next level and have the experience and seniority to coach them.
As a new member of our dynamic team, you will be responsible to deliver, with our SME scaling partners, including hands on support for the delivery of job creation targets as per the donor contract. S/he will be responsible for providing technical expertise and do the quality control of support the SMEs, as well as local partners (such as training, coaching, access to finance). In addition, s/he also identifies and secure new business opportunities for SMEs and help to unlock access to their markets. S/he is expected to identify key business barriers in front of SMEs in target countries and design the provision of business development services to them. S/he is expected initially travel between the 2 target countries with the other countries following suit later in the year.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Identify growth-oriented SMEs and analyse their specific needs;
- Work with selected local Business Support Organisations and identify new ones;
- Provide technical assistance and expertise to our Business Service Providers and coach them to the next level;
- Lead training processes of identified business advisors in key areas such as innovation, marketing, financial and human resource development,
- Lead the further, more in-depth mentoring support processes of selected businesses,
- Support growth orientated small business to access to finance such as loans or equity finance in order to create new jobs,
- Support growth orientated small business to access international and/or national new and/or existing markets and to export in order to create new jobs,
- Conclude B2B deals between companies supported and new ventures together with the country teams and partners,
- Support MSMEs through facilitating Access to finance solutions in partnership with private sector and banking facilities.
- Support the country teams to update stakeholder analysis, labour market assessment, and relevant reports,
- Provide technical input and feedback on progress reports and impact evaluation reports as well as project proposals,
- Other tasks as required.
Requirements and Skills
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in private sector development,
- Expertise in designing or implementing impact finance, venture capital or loan guarantee funds is highly desirable;
- Experience in direct support to vulnerable SMEs as a consultant, mentor or trainer or other related capacity is an asset;
- Ability to build consensus amongst wide range of views and complex personal and inter-organisational dynamics,
- Prior experience in access to finance solutions including Banking and setting up guarantee schemes to provide lines of finance to MSMEs is preferable.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills,
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and working level proficiency in English and Turkish is highly desirable;
- Citizenship of the country to which you are applying;
- Ability and willingness to travel between Turkey and the Middle East.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- Remuneration based on experience, SPARK salary grid and the country Jordan (from 1.800 – 2.200 JOD gross) or Turkey (1.800 – 2.500 EUR net);
- Full-time contract 40h/per week;
- Training opportunities.
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply with your motivation letter and your CV (both in English) on https://vacancy.spark-online.org/ until 6th August . Please, with application send to us three references (phone number and email) which we can contact in the selection process and the location that you are applying for.
For questions about SPARK or this positon you can reach Tamara Ljubic at firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications that are received via email will not be considered.
All applications will be assessed on rolling basis; interviews can, therefore, take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates.