Home Communications Intern – HQ
Communications Intern – HQ
- Position:Communication Intern
- Location:Amsterdam HQ, the Netherlands
- Application Deadline:July 16th, 2023
- Duration:Full-time (physical presence required for majority)
- Start Date:Monday 22 May – Friday 1 December 2023
The Communications intern will focus on producing and editing quality content for a range of SPARK communications, including the SPARK website, social media presence and newsletter. The intern will also provide support for relevant upcoming events, conferences and trainings, such as SPARK’s annual IGNITE conference. SPARK offers the intern the opportunity to work with diverse and international colleagues based in Europe, the Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa; learn from a professional, regional communications team; take part in communications training opportunities; have a real impact on the development of SPARK’s new communications strategy; and to challenge him/herself within the context of a vibrant and growing NGO.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the development of SPARK’s new communications strategy alongside the Communications Manager;
- Assist in planning and executing communications and digital media strategies by working with the Digital Marketing Specialist;
- Design and create content for SPARK’s social media channels by working with the Digital Marketing Specialist;
- Write and edit up-to-date news articles and other content for the SPARK website by working with regional programme teams;
- Support the production of SPARK’s quarterly newsletters and monthly internal newsletters (Mailchimp);
- Contribute to the enhancement of SPARK website (WordPress) by working with web-developers, including giving input on design, SEO etc.;
- Assist regional communications team with video production, designs, graphics;
- Working closely with the acquisition team, design and edit strategic promotion materials, such as flyers, posters, capacity and country statements;
- Contribute to SPARK’s internal communications by producing internal newsletters and developing new tools;
- Help to plan and arrange all aspects of events where relevant;
- Other tasks as assigned by the Communications Manager.
Requirements and Skills
- Higher education or experience in Communications, Journalism or a field relevant to SPARK’s work;
- Strong English language skills. Arabic will be considered an asset;
- Experience with basic design
- Proven editing and writing skills;
- Journalistic skills: not afraid of picking up the phone and giving someone a call;
- Social media knowledge and experience are essential;
- Familiarity with Google Drive/Docs/Analytics etc.;
- Experience with WordPress and MailChimp;
- Experience with graphic design and video production preferred (Adobe Creative Suite);
- Good communication and social skills and the ability to work in a multicultural setting;
- Proven organisational skills and the ability to work independently;
- Eligible to work in the Netherlands.
- International and dynamic working experience;
- Non-hierarchical management structure, you are considered a full member of the team;
- Chance to part take in communications training opportunities;
- Opportunity to take initiative and realise your ideas and plans;
- Full-time internship contract (4-5 days per week, flexible if you are still a student);
- Working from home possibility (max. 2 days per week);
- Compensation of 500 EUR gross on full-time basis, plus travel expenses.
How to apply?
If you have any questions regarding SPARK or the position, please visit our website www.spark-online.org or firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference: Communications Intern HQ
Please apply through SPARK’s online application platform at https://vacancy.spark-online.org/Tab1/LoadProfileFromVacancy/514 and be prepared to provide two writing samples if selected for the first round of interviews.
The deadline for application is 16th July, 2023.
All applications will be assessed on a rolling basis; interviews can therefore take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant individually. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply, we regret to inform you that we have continued with other candidates.
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 100+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports refugees in the Middle-East by providing them with scholarships in universities and higher education institutions in the region. SPARK also supports young entrepreneurs in fragile states, to start or grow their own businesses.