Home Country Manager Liberia
Country Manager Liberia
Country Manager Liberia
- Position: Country Manager Liberia
- Starting date: Asap
- Application deadline : 26/01/2020
- Duration: One year , full time, with possibility of extension
SPARK is looking for a results-oriented and experienced Country Manager. The Country manager will be responsible for oversight over all operations and programmes in Liberia. He/she/they will lead a team of programme and support staff, and report to the Regional Programme Director. The Country Manager is responsible for a portfolio of two programmes, with an emphasis on agribusiness. He/she will also be responsible for further developing SPARK’s ideation, acceleration and business development services tailored to Liberia’s Business Support Ecosystem. The position offers a great opportunity to be deeply involved in business development and (youth) job creation.
SPARK uses a very hands-on approach to working with young entrepreneurs and providing support to them to start and or grow their businesses. The entrepreneurs face many challenges compared to the average entrepreneur due to the difficult market environment and developing entrepreneurial ecosystem. Therefore, we are looking for people who feel confident in their ability to think on their toes, utilize deductive reasoning and those that are not afraid to be creative when it comes to finding solutions for making complicated programmes work in even more complicated environments.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent SPARK Liberia and its programmes, as required, vis-à-vis other national and international organisations, donor organisations, as well as national Government and non-governmental institutions;
- Represent SPARK in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of SPARK;
- Provide inputs to organisation’s activities as and when required, including participation in, training courses and conferences;
Acquisition, Local Fundraising & Liaison with Funders/Donors/Government:
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international government institutions and representatives, spearhead public sector collaboration, fundraising and programme development in Liberia
- Coordinate programme development and writing of funding proposals for extension of existing and/or establishment of new entrepreneurship and youth development programmes in Liberia.
- Oversee and coordinate the programme portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity and developing innovative programme interventions;
- Supervise SPARK Liberia Team and (national) partners in management of everyday project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes;
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation of the project annual/quarterly work plans and progress/final narrative and financial reports;
- Oversee programme administrative related activities, monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Establish and maintain relationships with subcontractors / (national) partners and act as the focal point of SPARK in Liberia to ensure that programming, financial and administrative matters related to the projects are transparently, expediently and effectively managed and comply with donor regulation.
Financial Management & Control:
- Supervise and support the local Finance Officer for the management of all administrative and financial programme aspects;
- Provide oversight of programme administration and financial management of SPARK Liberia’s programmes;
Human Resource Development & Management:
- Appoint, develop and manage programme staff in country;
- Coaching of staff and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
Requirements and Skills
- MA/MSc level education in a relevant field required; business administration, economics or international development
- 8 years proven work experience of which 2 year in a similar position
- Strong experience with managing EU projects
- Knowledge of EU Prag rules
- Work experience in West Africa required, preferably in Liberia
- 2 years of work experience in a business environment is desirable
- Experience as an entrepreneur and/or farming as a business is a strong asset;
- Experience in Value Chain Development is a strong asset;
- Experience as a business skills trainer or as a coach/mentor for entrepreneurs is a strong asset;
- Leadership style which is focusing on capacitating people but not afraid of being on the fore-front when required
- Tactful, excellent communication, presentation and social skills and the ability to work in a multicultural setting;
- Forward-thinking, pro-active and service minded;
- Hands-on attitude and willing to help out flexibly if required;
- Available and willing to very frequently travel between project locations in Liberia and for occasional work visits to other SPARK countries and The Netherlands.
- A challenging and exciting field position in an international environment and an opportunity to contribute to realising an important social impact in Liberia
- Contract for 40 hours per week
- One year contract with possibility for extension
- This is non-family posting
- Support in obtaining a work permit when necessary
- Contribution to housing costs
How to apply?
For more information, please visit the SPARK website: www.spark-online.org. If interested, please apply with your motivation letter and your CV (both in English) via https://vacancy.spark-online.org/ until 26.01.2020. Please, with application send to us two references (phone number and email) which we can contact in the selection process.
For questions about the vacancy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org reference Country Manager Liberia.
All applications will be assessed on rolling basis; interviews can therefore take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant individually. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates with other candidates.
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 100+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports youth and women in starting and developing their businesses in various, more stable parts of South Sudan. The focus of our activities is on agribusinesses.